Thursday, February 7, 2008

Guess what? More politics!

Warning: The following are some thoughts and pastings from some conversations and emails I've been having with friends lately. Don't expect an entirely cohesive, flowing rant, but more of a classic, bouncing from point to point rant. Enjoy...think....

********************

Well, as expected, "Republicans" don't have any backbone. Post primary election surveys in SC, FL and CA are showing that:
1. By a margin of up to 2:1, "Republican" voters think that Romney more closely represents their "values."
2. But, by a majority, they voted for McCain, because they believe he's more likely to win the general election.
How oxymoronic is that? Obviously, their "values" don't include standing up for their "values." Now, I admit some of this myself, as I had a conversation with a friend at church a few weeks ago about supporting Huckabee. I confessed that I was currently undecided, leaning Huckabee/Romney, but it might come down to voting for who I thought was more likely to get the nomination, not who I thought was the better candidate. I got over that quickly, as I decided that it didn't matter who "could win", but what my values meant and I looked more closely at both of their records and decided on Romney.
Then you have the "Republicans" who vote for the candidate who's closest to the middle...'cause they don't want anyone with extremist views in office...'cause the middle is what more closely represents the true American viewpoint. Sorry, RINOs, every one has extreme views, that's why we don't have a one party system, we like to argue and hash it out and sometimes get our way in politics. We know we won't always win, but we want to TRY to win, we DO have "extremist" viewpoints and ideology; we don't want them moved to the middle, we WANT politicians who believe in our values and govern in ways that agree with our ideology and beliefs. American is NOT a Christian nation, but Christians want our values reflected in our politics and therefore, our government.
So we'll see what McCain does about illegal aliens, campaign finance, permanent tax cuts and most importantly of all, possible Supreme Court nominees. Given his past record on those issues, I'm not holding my breath for a truly conservative outcome on any of them from him....but only time will tell, I guess. And in the end, only God knows the what and why.

Oh, a few thoughts on why "conservatives" are so anti-McCain?---as I have been asked by several liberals I know:
--McCain is for amnesty for illegal immigrants ("just pay $3000 and you get your citizenship" )
--McCain/Feingold was a step back in freedom of speech. If someone wants to give millions of dollars to a candidate, I don't have any problem with that, that's their choice. If they want to badmouth and produce stupid commercials about each other, let 'em, that just denigrates their own cause, in my humble opinion. It's an easy fix, turn the television off and research the candidate's voting record and stances on the issues yourself, there are many voter's guides that can help you out. Other than that, if you/the humble voter get your info on a candidate from their television commercials, then you're just another Oprah watching American sheeple and I should have the right to take your vote away and get two for my candidate.
--McCain is for homosexual marriage/equal rights for homosexual couples (most rights which they already legally possess, by the way)--he voted against a constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union of a man and a woman only.
So, Mr. "Republican who thinks you're a conservative," if you're for all that, then McCain is your man. If you're really a conservative, I'd say that Romney more closely resembles what the Republican party stands for. Of course, it's too late to find out now....that he's out of the race.

Another "oh, by the way" for ya: Fact is that we don't really have a "two party system" here, we have at least three parties. Dems, Republicans and "independents." McCain's an independent, really. And they are the ones who decide the elections. With Obama, who knows? There's a big "it's time for a black president" movement, but I think there are a lot of Americans who are more bigoted than they like to admit and even Democrats won't vote for him. But a lot of Democrats loved Bill Clinton and hate Hillary. Then there's the Democrats who think they're getting Bill when they vote for Hillary. So who knows?
I'm not against a black or a woman president, I'm just against a Democrat. Or a Rino (Republican in name only). But when we're stuck with a Rino, I guess we don't really have a choice. Vote for him (McCain) and hope he does what he says he is, conservatively, that is and ESPECIALLY when it comes to possible Supreme Court nominees.
Which is another soapbox of mine, get rid of appointments for life. Too much influence on long term America. Flush them out every once in a while and renew the mix of the court.

I think that's enough for now.

No comments: